I Take You, by Nikki Gemmell. Fourth Estate, £7.99
Saturday 07 September 2013
In a previous novel, The Bride Stripped Bare, Gemmell boldly gave voice to things women think but never say, especially to lovers.
Her latest foray into female desire is a stylish re-telling of Lady Chatterley’s Lover, an erotic text that aims to reclaim “tenderness” for a Fifty Shades audience. Among the plutocrats of Notting Hill, the crippled Clifford Chatterley is recast as a hedge-fund manager, while trophy wife, Connie, keeps their marriage alive by total submission. But then she meets Mel… a gardener with very dirty finger nails and suitably Lawrentian “loins”.
Game of Thrones
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 The difference between a migrant and refugee, in one sentence
- 2 Miley Cyrus calls out hypocrisy of women’s nipples being taboo
- 3 Celebrity Big Brother 2015: Tila Tequila kicked off show after 'describing Hitler as a good man'
- 4 Watch the Supermoon live: How to see the brightest Moon of the year tonight
- 5 iPhone 5c to be discontinued, no iPhone 6c to replace it
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
'Women only' train carriages: Jeremy Corbyn unveils radical move to tackle public harassment
Black holes are a passage to another universe, says Stephen Hawking
Iain Duncan Smith 'should resign over disability benefit death figures', says Jeremy Corbyn
Stock up on canned food for stock market crash, warns former Gordon Brown adviser
Labour leadership: Jeremy Corbyn voters most likely to believe 'world is controlled by a secretive elite'