Phaidon £6.95 (127pp) from the Independent Bookshop: 08430 600 030
Leonardo by Patricia Emison
Friday 28 October 2011
The 50 handsome reproductions and informative notes in this work form the perfect primer for the National Gallery's Leonardo blockbuster. We learn that the chilling smile of the Mona Lisa or La Gioconda (which is staying in the Louvre) may be a pun on her name, since giocondo means "light-hearted". Similarly, his pert Cecilia Gallerani petting a white stoat in unlikely fashion (which has made it from St Petersburg) is a reference to her husband's membership of the Order of the Ermine. Since they are in the Royal Collection, we will be able to enjoy drawings ranging from "The Sexual Act in Vertical Section" to "Deluge over the Sea". As Walter Pater noted, Leonardo was obsessed by "the smiling of women and the motion of great waters."
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 2 Amber Roof: Sister of Charleston shooting suspect Dylann Roof launches fund-raising appeal for wedding and honeymoon
- 3 Russell Brand condemns moment of silence for Tunisia attack victims as a 'minute of bulls**t'
- 4 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 5 Right to die: Belgian doctors rule depressed 24-year-old woman has right to end her life
Game of Thrones season 6: Daenerys actress Emilia Clarke says '50/50 chance' Jon Snow is alive
Jessie Cave interview: Harry Potter's Lavender Brown has published a collection of feminist cartoons
Britain's best outdoor cinemas to visit this summer from Somerset House to Luna Cinema
The last decade has produced just four UK festival headline acts
What if Nicolas Cage played every character in Game of Thrones?
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives