Bloomsbury, £12.99, 311pp £11.69 from the Independent Bookshop: 08430 600 030
Make Love Like a Prairie Vole, By Andrew G Marshall
Friday 17 February 2012
In Valentine's week, real-life marital therapist Andrew G Marshall kicks romantic fantasies into touch with a practical six-step programme to "rekindle desire" and "turn routine sex into sensuous love making".
Prairie voles, in case you were wondering, are the Romeos and Juliets of the animal kingdom. Not only do these Mid-Western rodents pair for life. They spend hours cuddling and grooming in their burrows.
Forget Tantric techniques and pornographic impossibilities, claims Marshall, ramp up the nuzzling, and stop in the middle of love-making "to have tea and talk". Prairie voles are constant creatures. Love rats, according to Marshall, are best confined between the covers of a good book.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
food + drinkMichelin-starred Tom Sellers on being this year's hottest property
tvParents (and kids) rejoice! A new wave of fantastic family entertainment is here
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant
- < Previous
- Next >