Sceptre £7.99 (324pp) from the Independent Bookshop: 08430 600 030
Mr Rosenblum's List, By Natasha Solomons
Friday 23 July 2010
Natasha Solomons isn't the first novelist to send a Jewish outsider on a pitfall-strewn trip through the rustic mysteries of Hardy's Dorset: Howard Jacobson did so, edgily, in Peeping Tom.
As comic novels about weird goy cults go, hers is a much gentler affair. Refugee Jack Rosenblum yearns to assimilitate - to the point of invisibility. From cottage gardens to clubman's chat, he dives into all "the subtleties of Englishness".
As, in the tatty postwar years, he keeps calm and prospers, exclusion from the greens leads Jack to build his own golf course. Of course, his vision of "a St Andrews in the Blackmore Vale" leads into deep patches of rough.
Solomons enriches the comedy of pride and prejudice with Jack's reality-proof lyricism and moving glimpses of his shattered German past.
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 Kim Kardashian on Bruce Jenner's 'story': 'We support him no matter what, and I think when the time is right, he'll talk'
- 4 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 5 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
The Jump 2015 line-up: Joey Essex, Mike Tindall, Jodie Kidd and co take to the slopes
Game of Thrones: Grey Worm actor Jacob Anderson is all for more male nudity – as long as he can keep his clothes on
Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' goes viral 35 years later
Sia apologises for 'Elastic Heart' music video that sees Shia LaBeouf wrestle 12-year-old Maddie Ziegler
Churchill: The Nation's Farewell, TV review: Paxman reveals truth behind crane docker tribute, but delivers a fitting honour to Winston
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow