Penguin £8.99 (309pp) (free p&p) from the Independent Bookshop : 0870 079 8897
Notes from Walnut Tree Farm, By Roger Deakin
Friday 19 June 2009
Deakin's nature was not a peaceful place. As pungent as woodsmoke on the winter air or a “waving sea of cow-parsley” near his Suffolk home, this selection of diaries by the much-missed author of Wildwood often finds blood amid the beauty he observed so well.
From blackthorn hedges as the Saxon “barbed wire” and a fox “strangled around the waist by a wire snare” to the tussle of oak against gale as Nato warplanes flash overhead, his supremely evocative writing never loses touch with the struggle for life. Dense with feeling, free of mush, this last harvest from a keen eye and a fine mind reveals the depth of our loss.
A The film has amassed an estimated $28.7 million in its opening weekend
A statement was published on his fansite, True To You, following release of new album
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 The way the police have treated Cliff Richard is completely unacceptable
- 2 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 3 Michael Brown shooting: Ferguson police shoot and kill second young black man
- 4 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 5 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermeister and vodka
The late Peter O'Toole shines in 'Katherine of Alexandria' despite illness
JK Rowling releases new Harry Potter story on Pottermore: Introducing Celestina Warbuck, the 'Singing Sorceress'
Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermeister and vodka
The funniest joke at Edinburgh Fringe 2014: Tim Vine wins for second time
Kate Bush: Previously unseen photographs reveal new side to comeback star
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head