Thames & Hudson £10 (338pp) from the Independent Bookshop: 08430 600 030
Our World Now 4, By Reuters
Friday 15 April 2011
Since visual surveys of the past year have fallen from fashion, this stunning annual record has come to fulfil an important role.
From a child dancing in a Havana downpour to a demonstrator urinating in front of Greek riot police, this book makes a strong argument for the small image.
The bloody floor of a Pakistani mosque where 66 were killed echoes the shovels resting on red toxic sludge from a disaster in Hungary. Graffiti in an Afghan compound reveals the varying obsessions of three occupants: scenes of combat (Taliban), macho insignia (Americans), a TV showing Coronation Street (British).
The book's design separates the pictures from their captions but they should be brought back together. Beautiful and shocking, these images are reporting of the highest order.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 2 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 3 Isis an hour away from Baghdad - with no sign of Iraq army being able to make a successful counter-attack
- 4 Yes, the iPhone 6 is a miracle, but it's Apple's tax affairs that deserve a double take
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
Before They Pass Away: In pictures
Kylie Minogue, Kiss Me Once tour, London O2 - review: Pop princess still reigns supreme
Miranda Hart and Sarah Millican lead female comedy breakthrough
'Before They Pass Away': Endangered communities photographed 'like Kate Moss'
The Simpsons death: Character killed off - but not the one you thought
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
- < Previous
- Next >