Paperback review: An Essay on Typography, By Eric Gill
Even if the sexual activity of Gill was not widely known in 1931 when this classic work was first published, his repeated references to “love-making” might have suggested that his interests were not purely typographical. On the latter subject, he is authoritative: “Lettering is for us the Roman alphabet.”
If his complaint about the “whirl of eccentricity [in] modern advertising” is slightly undermined by the continuing popularity of Thirties art deco, his view that “printed lettering has now… got completely out of hand and gone mad” is confirmed on every side in the digital age.
Books And it is whizzpopping!
MusicThey're running their own restaurants
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Kenya President Uhuru Kenyatta clashes with President Obama on LGBT equality: ‘Gay rights is really a non-issue’
- 2 Sinead O'Connor cancels all 2015 shows after son is diagnosed with 'life-threatening illness'
- 3 37-year-old black woman found dead in police custody
- 4 Five-year-old boy forced classmate to simulate oral sex at primary school, claims mother
- 5 Jon Snow alive? New Game of Thrones toy line suggests he's not among the dead
True Detective season 2, episode 6, 'Church in Ruins' review: Tension mounts just as time is running out
Sherlock season 4 trailer: First glimpse of Benedict Cumberbatch in Christmas special hints at Moriarty's return
Listen! Beowulf opening line misinterpreted for 200 years
Top Gear cleared by Ofcom over Jeremy Clarkson's use of the word 'pikey'
Jon Snow alive? New Game of Thrones toy line suggests he's not among the dead
The 9 charts that show the 'left-wing' policies of Jeremy Corbyn the public actually agrees with
Labour leadership contender Jeremy Corbyn says 'we can learn a great deal from Karl Marx'
The last thing Labour needs is a leader like Jeremy Corbyn who people want to vote for
What the Labour party could look like under Jeremy Corbyn
I am the Jeremy Corbyn supporter that many will tell you doesn't exist
Public anger after French sunbather beaten up by gang for wearing a bikini in Reims park