Paperback review: Gossip from the Forest, By Sarah Maitland
Saturday 01 June 2013
Sara Maitland rather beautifully weaves together a history of forests and fairy tales in a study that actually teaches you something (I'd never thought before about the links between dwarves and mining in fairy tales, for example – and that their representation goes beyond those traditional tales, to Tolkien and others), whilst also speculating helpfully about the originators of fairy tales themselves.
It seems logical that those who told stories about forests as places where children flee, or are helped by kind woodsmen, were those who also worked there. The fear that forests engender in us is a healthy kind of fear, Maitland argues, associated with magic, wildness, and strangeness, and in arguing so, she gives back to forests a sense of their power over us as well as the allure they have for us.
tv Review: Miranda Hart and co deliver the festive goods
tvReview: Older generation get hot under the collar this Christmas
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 3 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 4 AirAsia flight QZ8501 missing: Plane carrying 162 passengers from Indonesia to Singapore disappears over Java Sea
- 5 Naomi Wolf reacts to Isis 'conspiracy theories' critism after she questions whether beheading videos are real
Downton Abbey Christmas special 2014, review: Love is everywhere, actually
The golden age of TV comedy is here
The Boy in the Dress, TV review: David Walliams' Boxing Day treat is a celebration of being different
The Interview finally gets US release after Sony hack and terror threats – but reviews of North Korea satire are mixed
From Marvel to Star Wars: The rise of cinema’s shared universes
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Immigrants make UK racist, says Ukip councillor Trevor Shonk
Millions of Britons struggling to feed themselves and facing malnourishment
Nigel Farage: Ukip leader named 'Briton of the year' by The Times