Paperback review: Mutton, By India Knight
Saturday 10 August 2013
At the centre of India Knight's novel is 46-year-old Clara Hutt. Clara is content with her lot, until a friend, Gaby, moves back to London from Los Angeles looking 10 years younger. Her secret is cosmetic surgery – lots of it – and Clara is tempted to give it a try.
It's refreshing to read a novel about a female mid-life crisis (God knows there have been enough about the male variety), and there are some funny lines here (Clara's ex has moved to Australia, and she imagines him with "a hypothetical new girlfriend called Sheila, all tinnies and sun damage"). But I found the atmosphere of unexamined upper middle-class privilege – the characters have a quick nip and tuck then saunter off to do cocaine in the toilets at Claridge's – a bit off-putting.
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 3 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 4 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 5 Isis publicly behead man in Syrian town square for 'insulting Allah' as he screams for help
Heavy metal producer's corpse to be mutilated by models as per his dying wish
The Jump 2015 line-up: Joey Essex, Phil Tufnell, Heather Mills and co take to the slopes
Game of Thrones: Grey Worm actor Jacob Anderson is all for more male nudity – as long as he can keep his clothes on
Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' goes viral 35 years later
Our fascination with the Arctic from Greek myths to Sky Atlantic's new drama Fortitude
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures