Paperback Review: The Meat Fix: How a Lifetime of Health Eating Nearly Killed Me, By John Nicholson Biteback Publishing £8.99
There's nothing worse than a poacher turned gamekeeper
Sunday 03 February 2013
John Nicholson was for 26 years a model vegetarian. But health problems – IBS, high cholesterol, weight issues – led him to reconsider his diet, and he began to feel better after he returned to eating meat.
In this rambling, overlong book, Nicholson draws on his own experience to criticise "hysterical, paranoid" dietary advice and extoll the carnivorous lifestyle. Although you never doubt his sincerity, the research he offers to reinforce his argument is unconvincing, and his confrontational style quickly begins to grate. Indeed, judging by the way he dismisses the vegetarian community ("No dreadlocks or earnest lectures about animal rights here. Sod that.") they're probably glad to be rid of him.
A The film has amassed an estimated $28.7 million in its opening weekend
A statement was published on his fansite, True To You, following release of new album
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 2 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 3 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermesiter and vodka
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
The late Peter O'Toole shines in 'Katherine of Alexandria' despite illness
JK Rowling releases new Harry Potter story on Pottermore: Introducing Celestina Warbuck, the 'Singing Sorceress'
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermesiter and vodka
Kate Bush: Previously unseen photographs reveal new side to comeback star
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head