PENGUIN £7.99 (225PP)
Paperbacks: Mirror Mirror, by Maria Alvarez
Friday 22 August 2008
Spoilt west Londoner Belle Fellner spends her days knocking around her beautiful home, waiting for her dermatologist husband to return from LA. In between pharmaceutical highs and trips to the Portobello Road, she makes the acquaintance of Tina, an attractive waitress whom she takes in as a lodger.
Sharing clothes, street drugs and porn movies, the titillated twosome infiltrate each other's lives with unsettling consequences. Reminiscent of early Josephine Hart, Alvarez's novel injects this desultory affair with some enjoyable histrionics, though ultimately style wins out over substance and the action falls a little flat.
Game of Thrones
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
- 2 Moscow voted the world's unfriendliest city
- 3 Idris Elba is ‘too street’ to play 007, says James Bond author
- 4 Pansexual: What is it - and when did the term gain popularity?
- 5 I'm pansexual – here are the five biggest misconceptions about my sexuality
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
Tony Blair attacks Jeremy Corbyn's 'Alice In Wonderland' politics
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up
Iain Duncan Smith 'should resign over disability benefit death figures', says Jeremy Corbyn
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be