PENGUIN £7.99 (225PP)
Paperbacks: Mirror Mirror, by Maria Alvarez
Friday 22 August 2008
Spoilt west Londoner Belle Fellner spends her days knocking around her beautiful home, waiting for her dermatologist husband to return from LA. In between pharmaceutical highs and trips to the Portobello Road, she makes the acquaintance of Tina, an attractive waitress whom she takes in as a lodger.
Sharing clothes, street drugs and porn movies, the titillated twosome infiltrate each other's lives with unsettling consequences. Reminiscent of early Josephine Hart, Alvarez's novel injects this desultory affair with some enjoyable histrionics, though ultimately style wins out over substance and the action falls a little flat.
elephant appealThe first 23 lots in our charity auction have now gone. But there are 22 more still up for grabs
Look beyond the usual shows for the best festive telly
Geoffrey Macnab does not like the comedian's big screen debut
The battle for control of Stieg Larsson's £30m legacy
Arts & Ents blogs
Heavy rain and years of 'benign neglect' may have caused Apollo Theatre roof collapse
Christmas TV guide 2013: Look beyond the usual shows for the best festive telly
Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
Justin Bieber isn't retiring from music after all
The Harry Hill Movie, film review: Screenplay isn't so much offbeat as utterly feeble
- 1 Tim Sherwood challenges Daniel Levy to set out vision for Tottenham Hotspur’s future
- 2 French pub fined €9,000 after customers returned empties to bar - because it's 'undeclared labour'
- 3 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 4 #Teamnigella: It’s the only side to be on
- 5 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
- < Previous
- Next >