CORGI £9.99 (412PP)
Paperbacks: Plats Du Jour, by William Black
Friday 15 August 2008
In this soufflé-light prose, Black's peregrination explores the world's greatest cuisine through two dozen dishes. They range from the poule au pot promised for every French household by the admirable Henri IV (it would be a rash commitment now since the dish requires "one large, good-quality boiling hen") to the omelette at La Mere Poulard, Mont St Michel, consumed by a mixed clientele ranging from Edward VII to Trotsky.
If Black sometimes over-eggs his prose ("And, boy, was fondue sexy! As knitted sweater touched nylon blouse, sparks flew"), this is a small blemish in such a genial banquet.
Film review Michael Glatze biopic isn't about a self-hating gay man gone straight
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 East 17 bandmember Brian Harvey in 'very desperate situation’
- 2 Germanwings plane crash: Video shows co-pilot Andreas Lubitz learning to fly as a teenager
- 3 Vladimir Putin says Russia will fight for the right of Palestinians to their own state
- 4 Germanwings crash: Captain of doomed plane was only 'on board because he changed job to spend more time with his children'
- 5 Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
Jim Davidson: 'I'd love to host Top Gear but I'm always banned from driving'
Cassetteboy joins forces with Russell Brand for Emperor's New Clothes film
Poldark, review: Demelza’s insouciance is almost as impressive as Ross’ pecs
Jay Z launches streaming service Tidal with help from Kanye West, Rihanna and Coldplay
Fifty Shades of Grey movie shows first sex scene 'after 40 minutes'
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew