PENGUIN £7.99 (282PP) (FREE P&P) FROM 0870 079 8897
Paperbacks: The Book of Other People, Ed. Zadie Smith
Friday 26 September 2008
Fund-raising anthologies can be strange beasts. Editing a collection of stories to raise money for the children's charity 836 NYC, Zadie Smith has called on 22 other authors, almost as hip and talented as herself, to contribute a story about "character".
The results are as diverse as you might expect, though many entries feature protagonists at the more monstrous end of the spectrum. Graphic novelist Daniel Clowes has an entertaining strip about a navel-gazing film critic; George Saunders's "Puppy" features a pair of dominating mothers; while Dave Eggers opts for a mythical tale of stone-splitting giants. Illustrious female contributors include AL Kennedy, AM Holmes and, of course, Smith herself, who supplies a well-turned story of an anti-climatic father-and-son reunion.
Auction house to give away $1m masterpiece in charity raffle - and tickets are only $100 each
Beatles rush out 'bootleg' album to defy EU copyright law
Geoffrey Macnab reviews The Desolation of Smaug - the meat in Peter Jackson's Hobbit sandwich
Harvey Weinstein reveals his secret weapon on-set
Now that an oil trader's drinking has got him sacked, will we all have to make do with an afternoon latte?
Chiwetel Ejiofor and Idris Elba get nods for Best Actor, which no black Brit has ever won
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Nelson Mandela memorial: ‘Bogus’ sign language interpreter made mockery of Barack Obama’s tribute in Soweto
- 2 Mystery of Epping Forest 'big cat' is solved
- 3 French café starts charging extra to rude customers
- 4 Australia incest case: Severely deformed children found in remote farming community after generations of inbreeding
- 5 Physicists discover 'clearest evidence yet' that the Universe is a hologram
- < Previous
- Next >