ARROW £8.99 (497PP)
Paperbacks: The Diana Chronicles, by Tina Brown
Friday 27 June 2008
Sarah Bradford's Diana looked unbeatable, but Brown has at least equalled it with her mix of in-depth research (in the US style, we're given the interview tally: "over 250"), a hell-for-leather narrative and pin-sharp character studies.
The young Prince Charles was a "toxic bachelor, impaled on a life of public duty and private indulgence". We learn the breezy pillow talk of the love of his life: "Pretend I am a rocking horse." Brown's account of the third corner of this triangle may be an embarrassing pleasure in its pink cover, but it is a perceptive assessment of the great trag-edy of our tabloid age.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace joins line-up as final celebrities revealed
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 4 Saudi Arabia executes 19 in one half of August in 'disturbing surge of beheadings'
- 5 Brother and sister, Christopher Buckner and Timothy Savoy, arrested for 'committing incest after watching 'The Notebook''
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace joins line-up as final celebrities revealed
Great British Bake Off 2014: Ofcom receives 13 complaints about Baked Alaska episode
Nicki Minaj suffers wardrobe malfunction during MTV VMAs performance with Ariana Grande and Jessie J
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Meet the contestants
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
- < Previous
- Next >