PENGUIN £9.99 (254PP)
Paperbacks: The Essential Groucho, edited by Stephen Kanfer
Friday 15 August 2008
This addition to Penguin Modern Classics may be a startling choice but Woody Allen is in favour: "[He] will be equally funny a thousand years from now."
This is certainly the case with Groucho's response to the woman on his TV show who explained her 22 offspring: "Because I love my husband." Groucho: "I love my cigar too, but I take it out of my mouth once in a while." The selection ranges from Marxist prose to sublime dialogue from the comedies. Groucho: "That's what they call a sanity clause." Chico: "Ah, you fool wit me. There ain't no Sanity Claus." If that's not a classic, it's hard to know what is.
Is the comedy album making a comeback?comedy
Artists unveils new exhibition inspired by Hastings beachart
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Malaysian cyclist could face disciplinary action after 'Save Gaza' gloves protest
- 2 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 3 Fifty Shades of Grey trailer provokes moral outrage from US parenting groups
- 4 McDonald’s removes chicken nuggets from the menu in Hong Kong amid major food scare
- 5 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
Arizona execution lasts two hours as killer Joseph Wood left 'snorting and gasping' for air
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: victims’ bodies bundled in black bags and loaded onto trains
John Barrowman praised for Commonwealth Games opening ceremony gay kiss