PENGUIN £7.99 (535pp)
Paperbacks: What Is The What, by Dave Eggers
Friday 22 August 2008
Acclaimed for memoirs of his own dysfunctional childhood, Eggers here focuses his forensic attention on the story of Valentino Achak Deng, whose teenage years were shaped by unimaginable terrors.
One of 20,000 "Lost Boys" displaced during the war in Sudan, he walked thousands of miles to resettlement camps in Ethiopia before relocation to America. Eggers, who taped conversations with Valentino over four years, acts as his subject's voice. The book opens with the immigrant robbed at gunpoint in Atlanta. Having survived lions and militia, this proved one assault too many. "In my life," he says, "I have been struck in many ways, but never with the barrel of a gun."
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 Kim Kardashian on Bruce Jenner's 'story': 'We support him no matter what, and I think when the time is right, he'll talk'
- 4 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 5 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
The Jump 2015 line-up: Joey Essex, Mike Tindall, Jodie Kidd and co take to the slopes
Game of Thrones: Grey Worm actor Jacob Anderson is all for more male nudity – as long as he can keep his clothes on
Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' goes viral 35 years later
Sia apologises for 'Elastic Heart' music video that sees Shia LaBeouf wrestle 12-year-old Maddie Ziegler
Churchill: The Nation's Farewell, TV review: Paxman reveals truth behind crane docker tribute, but delivers a fitting honour to Winston
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures