PHOENIX £9.99 (442PP)
Paperbacks: Young Stalin, by Simon Sebag Montefiore
Friday 25 April 2008
"Only child of a driven single mother", the handsome Georgian prodigy excelled. Gifted choirboy, brilliant student, fervent trainee priest – then a good-ish lyric poet, dashing ladies' man and romantic revolutionary. The murder and enslavement of millions came a bit later. Joseph D – "Soso", "Koba", "Stalin", the master of many masks and disguises – crucially chose to put another talent, for underworld thuggery, bank robbery and organised crime, at the service of Lenin's Bolsheviks. The rest is (still) little-known history, brought to mesmerising life in this terrific, and terrifying, biography of the years to 1917. Then, the death star left the wings and took a public role at last. Alas.
Art Megumi Igarashi criticises Japan's 'backwards' attitude to women's sexual expression
tv Singer could become the most unlikely star of Westeros
Ray Davies' Sunny Afternoon scoops the most awardsTheatre
Grace DentChannel 4 show proves there's no app for happiness
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Kylie Jenner challenge: Bizarre lip suction device inspired by Kardashian sister goes viral
- 2 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 3 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor are reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 4 Bruce Forsyth backs assisted dying campaign: 'If I had Alzheimer's or dementia I would do something about it'
- 5 Giorgio Armani criticises the way some gay men dress saying 'a man has to be a man'
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate