Hatje Cantz £26.99
Photgraphy: Ron Galella: Paparazzo Extraordinaire!
Sunday 04 March 2012
Ron Galella was given the frankly dubious title "the Godfather of US paparazzi culture" by Time magazine.
Certain of his pictures in this book – Mick Jagger's middle-finger salute from 1983; Sean Penn mid-punch; Marlon Brando on the occasion that he broke Galella's jaw – attest to his unpopularity with the celebrities whom he stalked. But if you can forgive his methods, there are some terrific shots here of old-fashioned Hollywood royalty and disco-era glamour, while an accompanying essay argues that his innate eye resulted in aesthetically superior images to the (often prearranged) pap shots that flood today's media.
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Game of Thrones author George RR Martin says 'f*** you' to fans who fear he will die before finishing Westeros saga
- 2 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 3 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 4 L'Oreal cuts ties with Belgium supporter Axelle Despiegelaere after hunting trip photographs
- 5 The true Gaza back-story that the Israelis aren’t telling this week
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
War is war: Why I stand with Israel
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’