Dewi Lewis Publishing £45
Photography: Here Far Away, By Pentti Sammallahti (With an introduction by Finn Thrane)
Saturday 24 August 2013
Here Far Away is the first major retrospective by the leading international photographer Pentti Sammallahti. It covers more than 40 years of work from almost as many countries.
Born in 1950, in Helsinki, Finland, Sammallahti is recognised as a master craftsman in terms of photographic printing methods, and has been a major influence on published photographic art. In 2004, Henri Cartier-Bresson ranked Sammallahti among his favourite photographers. As a teacher, Sammallahti has had an enormous influence on a generation of documentary photographers in Scandinavia. His work is in many major international collections.
Writer, photographer and teacher Finn Thrane was the founding director of the Museum of Photographic Art, Odense, and creator and co-editor of CATALOG magazine.
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 4 The biggest first date turnoff has been revealed
- 5 German man found living with 300 rats in tiny apartment
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture