Thames & Hudson £95
Photography: Magnum Contact Sheets, ed Kristen Lubben
Sunday 20 November 2011
The contact sheet, which offers that thrilling first look at the contents of a roll of film, has been compared to the artist's sketchbook.
In this collection of more than 100 of them from the archives of the famed Magnum agency, the US photojournalist Leonard Freed describes them as "private" and belonging to him. This book offers an intimate glimpse into its contributors' working processes, then, and at the behind-the-scenes construction of now famous pictures.
It is also, Martin Parr notes, an evocative epitaph to something made obsolete in the digital era. Shown above, Margaret Thatcher at the 1981 Conservative Party Conference, by Peter Marlow.
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Isis propaganda video shows 25 Syrian soldiers executed by teenage militants in Palmyra
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 4 Right to die: Belgian doctors rule depressed 24-year-old woman has right to end her life
- 5 The biggest first date turnoff has been revealed
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture