New Riders £29.99
Photography: Storytellers: A Photographer's Guide to Developing Themes and Creating Stories with Pictures, By Jerod Foster
Sunday 04 December 2011
Jerod Foster, an American photographer and lecturer, writes about the story behind a picture.
It is less about a narrative told through a series of images, than saying everything in one comprehensive picture. He guides us through different scenarios, explaining how to translate thoughts and instincts into an image. He also gives other photographers' opinions via a Q&A format. The image here is the final in a set of four that he uses to illustrate a point about gesture. All the images are of a street musician but each is taken from a slightly wider perspective to show that this final image, which includes the little girl's dance, tells much more of the story. This book makes us realise that equipment is secondary to thought and composition in making a compelling photograph.
A cautionary tale for ambitious would-be authors
X Factor judge will appear in court later this month
Arts & Ents blogs
Downton Abbey Christmas special 2013: New pictures released
Fifty Shades of Grey movie: Jamie Dornan and Dakota Johnson pictured in first scenes
Back from the dead? Family Guy's Brian Griffin 'to make a comeback' after fan petition
Emma Stone: 'Dating Andrew Garfield makes living in LA a lot less fun'
Katie Hopkins mocks name of sick girl featured in X Factor charity appeal
- 1 Dear Sir Jimmy Savile: A comedian's words of valediction to the nation's trusted uncle
- 2 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 3 Teenage girl convicted of robbery after taking pre-crime selfie wielding knife
- 4 Newly vegan Beyoncé wears fox fur to dine in meat free restaurant
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
- < Previous
- Next >