Brune Books £16
Picture book review: Lacanau Beach, By François Cavelier
Saturday 09 March 2013
Lacanau Beach is the first book by the young French photographer François Cavelier, comprising a series of 53 images taken over three consecutive summers at one of Bordeaux's hottest holiday spots.
Cavelier displays a fashion photographer's eye for youth-culture trends, and for attractive young people with not much on. But he is also interested in continuities and communities; the ways in which we behave differently while on holiday, and the ways in which social structures and strictures remain in place.
With their colour-bleached hues and holiday-snap vibe, the pictures are able to evoke timeless teenage rituals, and universal holiday moods.
The book is available in a limited edition of 160 – or in an even more limited edition of 40 signed and numbered copies – from the publisher's website (bruneeditions.com).
Mountain goats miraculously survive avalanche in the Alps
Skyfall's Ben Whishaw confirmed for Freddie Mercury film
A cautionary tale for ambitious would-be authors
Arts & Ents blogs
Fifty Shades of Grey movie: Jamie Dornan and Dakota Johnson pictured in first scenes
Downton Abbey Christmas special 2013: New pictures released
Back from the dead? Family Guy's Brian Griffin 'to make a comeback' after fan petition
Emma Stone: 'Dating Andrew Garfield makes living in LA a lot less fun'
Katie Hopkins mocks name of sick girl featured in X Factor charity appeal
- 1 Dear Sir Jimmy Savile: A comedian's words of valediction to the nation's trusted uncle
- 2 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 3 Teenage girl convicted of robbery after taking pre-crime selfie wielding knife
- 4 Newly vegan Beyoncé wears fox fur to dine in meat free restaurant
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
- < Previous
- Next >