Vintage £8.99 (305pp) (free p&p) from the Independent Bookshop : 0870 079 8897
Pollard, By Laura Beatty
Friday 26 June 2009
In ancient English woodland a runaway girl, fleeing the chaos of a family where "problems grew in her head, as thick as the trees", slips season by season into the life of a hermit.
Anne's retreat from bruising humanity into a solitary life "against the grain of the time" forms the dappled, tangled backdrop to a remarkable first novel.
Punctuated by a "chorus of trees" and their "living record" of the past, this rhapsodic portrait of a loner in her landscape grows into a toughly beautiful version of pastoral.
Pollard joins the nature-mysticism of a Jeffries or Kipling with a newer green concern for the ruin of time-hallowed habitats.
Is the comedy album making a comeback?comedy
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 2 The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
- 3 'Women should not laugh in public,' says Turkey's Deputy Prime Minister in morality speech
- 4 Ebola virus: UK health officials issue warning to doctors as experts admit the outbreak 'is not under control'
- 5 Ross Burden dead: MasterChef and Ready Steady Cook star dies at age 45 after suffering from cancer
Best TV shows on Netflix: 26 series to binge on
Led Zeppelin to release alternative Stairway To Heaven after 43 years
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
Freddie Prinze Jr on 24: 'Kiefer Sutherland was the most unprofessional dude in the world – I hated every moment of it'
Coolio has sold his soul to Pornhub
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
A new Russian revolution: The cracks are starting to appear in Putin’s Kremlin power bloc
- < Previous
- Next >