Quantum: A Guide for the Perplexed, By Jim Al-Khalili
Appropriately for a discipline characterised by Schrödinger's cat "in the embarrassing state of being both dead and alive simultaneously", this guide may leave the reader enlightened and perplexed at the same time.
Reassuringly, the pros feel the same. After guiding us through such tantalising phenomena as decoherence, Al-Khalili notes that the "harmless nonsense" of Star Trek may not be all nonsense. "Teleportation is theoretically possible if only at the quantum scale for the time being."
Arts & Ents blogs
Apple's Tim Cook: Business isn’t just about making profit
Thousands of young people forced to go without food after benefits wrongly stopped under 'draconian' new sanctions regime
Ukraine crisis: New navy chief 'defects' and surrenders Crimean HQ as Putin claims ultranationalists forced intervention
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Ukraine crisis: Russia dismisses '3am ultimatum' as 'total nonsense'
If you're horrified by a flame-roasted dog, you should be shocked at a hog roast
- 1 The future of sex: The first female condoms were derided, mistrusted and shunned - but will their modern counterparts catch on?
- 2 South African rhino finally put down after roaming Kruger park for days with horn hacked off and bullet in brain
- 3 Italian pensioner hires an escort who turns out to be his son's girlfriend
- 4 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 5 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role to marry Natasha Richardson