Review: A Message For You, By Guy Bourdin
Sunday 10 February 2013
The influential French fashion photographer Guy Bourdin (1928-91) had his first shots published in Vogue Paris in 1955, and continued to work for the magazine until 1987.
By the 1970s, he had earned his complete artistic freedom, and worked outside the conventions of commercial photography – and as far as possible, outside the boundaries of the photographic medium itself. He wanted to tell whole stories with a single image; his work became ever more boldly stylised, and the influence of his mentor, the surrealist Man Ray, became ever more clear. A Message For You, which focuses on his late- Seventies golden period, was first published as a two-volume monograph in 2008, and now by Steidl in a beautiful, revised and updated, single edition.
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 3 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 4 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 5 Isis publicly behead man in Syrian town square for 'insulting Allah' as he screams for help
Heavy metal producer's corpse to be mutilated by models as per his dying wish
The Jump 2015 line-up: Joey Essex, Phil Tufnell, Heather Mills and co take to the slopes
Game of Thrones: Grey Worm actor Jacob Anderson is all for more male nudity – as long as he can keep his clothes on
Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' goes viral 35 years later
Our fascination with the Arctic from Greek myths to Sky Atlantic's new drama Fortitude
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures