Reaktion £9.99 (224pp) from the Independent Bookshop: 08430 600 030
Spider, By Katarzyna and Sergiusz Michalski
Friday 17 December 2010
In phobia terms, Reaktion's terrific animal series has reached the king of beasts. Arachnophobia, the Miss Muffet syndrome, is "now counted among the most interesting human neuroses".
Not everyone has this antipathy to the 400 different types of spider. In his memoirs, the 12th Duke of Bedford wrote a chapter called Spiders I Have Known – one favourite enjoyed a daily meal of roast beef and Yorkshire pudding.
In this enjoyable (at least for some of us) monograph, the reader learns something new about this extraordinary creature. The authors explore how spiders inspired Rubens, Rowlandson, Louise Bourgeois, but sadly omit Harold Wilson's self-description as "a big fat spider sitting in the corner of the room."
sportLiverpool 5 Norwich City 1: Uruguayan striker has now scored 11 league goals against the club
filmWith more than 70 per cent of early films lost, archivists are scouring the world to preserve the precious examples that remain
NFL fans were so loud during a match that their celebrations registered as a minor earthquake
Tyre firm aimed to show how their tyres would perform in ‘unexpected’ conditions
Arts & Ents blogs
Paul Walker death: Filming of Fast and Furious 7 on hold following death of actor
Ten adverts that shocked the world
Christmas TV 2013: Downton Abbey special details revealed
Morgan Freeman portrait: The world's most realistic finger painting?
Nymphomaniac trailer shown to children at screening of Disney film Frozen
- 1 The hardwired difference between male and female brains could explain why men are 'better at map reading'
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 UK chef creates world's most expensive ready meal - a fish pie costing £314
- 4 Food poverty in UK has reached level of 'public health emergency', warn experts
- 5 I’m sure Kate Moss doesn't care about posing for Playboy. But I do