The Art Book: New Edition
Sunday 23 September 2012
Eighteen years ago, Phaidon published The Art Book. It quickly became a bestseller, and is now available in 20 languages.
The A-Z format, featuring a single page for each artist, was simple and compelling. It threw such opposites as Rodchenko and Rodin, Michelangelo and Millais together, so that all conventional art history classifications were discarded. This new edition has a cover image by Spanish graphic designer Javier Mariscal (above). The original artists (including Giovanni di Paolo, above) have been updated, and are presented alongside notable additions from the last 18 years, including Ai Weiwei and Stephen Shore. Each artist still has one page, with a single piece of work illustrated beside information about the artist and the featured work.
Arts & Ents blogs
Owen Howells is a DJ/producer who grew up in Australia but was born in the UK. He came back to the U...
Fancy seeing a play about serial killers? How about inviting a funeral director into your home for a...
There are a good many moments in the second episode of this psychological thriller that deserve refl...
- 1 What, let gays get married? We must be bonkers
- 2 'Something passed underneath us, quite close': Airbus A320 has close encounter with UFO
- 3 Rocky Horror star Tim Curry 'suffers major stroke'
- 4 Lord of the Sings: Sir Christopher Lee, 91, to release heavy metal album
- 5 Exclusive: Woolwich killings suspect Michael Adebolajo was inspired by cleric banned from UK after urging followers to behead enemies of Islam
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Nook is donating eReaders to volunteers at high-need schools and participating in exclusive events throughout the campaign.
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.