The Art Book: New Edition
Sunday 23 September 2012
Eighteen years ago, Phaidon published The Art Book. It quickly became a bestseller, and is now available in 20 languages.
The A-Z format, featuring a single page for each artist, was simple and compelling. It threw such opposites as Rodchenko and Rodin, Michelangelo and Millais together, so that all conventional art history classifications were discarded. This new edition has a cover image by Spanish graphic designer Javier Mariscal (above). The original artists (including Giovanni di Paolo, above) have been updated, and are presented alongside notable additions from the last 18 years, including Ai Weiwei and Stephen Shore. Each artist still has one page, with a single piece of work illustrated beside information about the artist and the featured work.
Arts & Ents blogs
Let's talk book blurbs, those quotes you get, usually from other writers, that are meant to entice y...
Fela Kuti, Jewish food and The Great Gatsby are just some of the reasons why the rainy weather ahead...
Sat in a hotel lobby amidst a music conference in Aarhus around 4am in is a great way to argue, and ...
- 1 Stoke City investigate 'religious abuse' after 'pig's head is found in Kenwyne Jones' locker'
- 2 Gove’s lesson: spare the comma, spoil the child
- 3 Heading for America? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever
- 4 Grace Dent on TV: Extreme Couponing, My Strange Addiction, and Here Comes Honey Boo Boo, TLC
- 5 Join Ryanair! See the world! But we'll only pay you for nine months a year
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.