The Churchills, By Mary S.Lovell
The capable author of The Mitford Girls tackles a dynasty – probably the dynasty – with entertaining results.
From the First Duke of Marlborough, who prompted a good joke from Charles II when caught rogering the royal mistress ("Thou art a rascal but I forgive thee for I know 'tis how you earn your daily bread"), to Winston's daughter Sarah, arrested for drunkenness while playing Peter Pan, this book bulges with incident. Though the home life of our wartime PM was scarcely eased by his son and wilful wife, they provide lively pages.
Books And it is whizzpopping!
MusicThey're running their own restaurants
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Kate Winslet thanked 'particularly horrible' girl who bullied her at school after Titanic success
- 2 Australia to impose 24-hour curfew on all cats to protect endangered species
- 3 The difference between a psychopath and a sociopath
- 4 Black and ethnic minority people twice as likely to be hit by Tory cuts than white people, report finds
- 5 Walter Palmer: Cecil the lion killer revealed to be American dentist
Conan O'Brien accused of stealing jokes from Twitter, could have to pay hundreds of thousands in damages
Child Genius: the Final, Channel 4 - TV review: Top marks to the child prodigies but mum and dad should take a bow too
Top Gear: Jenson Button reportedly joining Chris Evans as replacement host
Game of Thrones season 6: New toy line suggests Jon Snow is not among the dead
Game of Thrones season 6 set photos leak online
Labour leadership contender Jeremy Corbyn says 'we can learn a great deal from Karl Marx'
Yvette Cooper: Our choice is years of Tory rule under Jeremy Corbyn – or a return to a Labour government
The last thing Labour needs is a leader like Jeremy Corbyn who people want to vote for
I am the Jeremy Corbyn supporter that many will tell you doesn't exist
Public anger after French sunbather beaten up by gang for wearing a bikini in Reims park
Labour leadership: New poll shows party is now even 'less electable' than under Ed Miliband