Vintage £7.99 (283pp) (free p&p) from the Independent Bookshop: 0870 079 8897
The Descendants, By Kaui Hart Hemmings
Friday 27 February 2009
A descendant of one of Hawaii's largest landowners, Matt King finds himself swimming in deep water after his fun-loving wife, Joanie falls into a coma following a boating accident.
Left in sole charge of his two daughters, he is forced to wake up to all kinds of new realities – including the fact that Joanie was having an affair. When he decides that he must find his dead wife's lover, Matt and his girls embark on an idiosyncratic road journey.
Despite the tropical setting, Hemmings's prose style remains admirably unheated. This is a coolly comic and moving debut that plots a father's attempts to navigate a far from scenic route home.
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 2 What supermodels really think about posing in the nude
- 3 North Korean defector flees to Finland 'with evidence of chemical testing on humans'
- 4 Black teen in critical condition after store employee 'shoots him for stealing 79-cent pack of cookies'
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
This is surely the best way to watch Jaws
Amy Winehouse film director: 'I wanted to show the fun, bright-eyed girl we didn't know'
James Blunt was special guest on the highest-rating Top Gear episode ever
Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM
Contemporary art is a fraud, says top dealer
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture