Vintage £7.99 (283pp) (free p&p) from the Independent Bookshop: 0870 079 8897
The Descendants, By Kaui Hart Hemmings
Friday 27 February 2009
A descendant of one of Hawaii's largest landowners, Matt King finds himself swimming in deep water after his fun-loving wife, Joanie falls into a coma following a boating accident.
Left in sole charge of his two daughters, he is forced to wake up to all kinds of new realities – including the fact that Joanie was having an affair. When he decides that he must find his dead wife's lover, Matt and his girls embark on an idiosyncratic road journey.
Despite the tropical setting, Hemmings's prose style remains admirably unheated. This is a coolly comic and moving debut that plots a father's attempts to navigate a far from scenic route home.
Arts & Ents blogs
YouTube star Rebecca Black is back with Saturday (it's a sequel to Friday, see?)
Norman Rockwell’s 'Saying Grace' tops record week of art auction sales in US
X Factor 2013: Luke Friend wins place in final as Rough Copy sent home
Back from the dead? Family Guy's Brian Griffin 'to make a comeback' after fan petition
Katie Hopkins mocks name of sick girl featured in X Factor charity appeal
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 5 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- < Previous
- Next >