The Empty Family, By Colm Tóibín
There's no place like home...once it's gone
Sunday 03 July 2011
This collection of short stories is about the pain of regrets that almost always involve a sense of a home lost, evoked either through a particular person or a place.
In "Silence", a fragment from Henry James's notebooks becomes a moment of lost love for the unhappily married Lady Gregory, doyenne of the Celtic Revival movement.
In "Two Women", a successful set designer returns to Dublin from LA, only to be reminded of an abortive love affair. In "The New Spain", Carme returns to her home town with nostalgic memories, only to find her family selling off the land she loves for cheap housing. Colm Tóibín's beautiful and carefully executed prose conveys intimacy the way one might whisper a secret.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Expert urges cat lovers to own just one animal each
- 2 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 3 The Simpsons death: Creator Al Jean would 'kill himself' before character like Homer or Lisa
- 4 British man raped while urinating in bushes at Oktoberfest beer festival in Germany
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
Black-ish: America's new 'racist' TV sitcom has had a mixed reception
Cilla, episode 3, ITV - review: Ed Stoppard steals the limelight as Beatles manager Brian Epstein
The Simpsons death: Creator Al Jean would 'kill himself' before character like Homer or Lisa
'Before They Pass Away': Endangered communities photographed 'like Kate Moss'
The Jungle Book: A tale as old as time
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
'Women, walk wherever you want' posters taken down in Stamford Hill following 'unacceptable' signs separating men and women
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
- < Previous
- Next >