The Empty Family, By Colm Tóibín
There's no place like home...once it's gone
Sunday 03 July 2011
This collection of short stories is about the pain of regrets that almost always involve a sense of a home lost, evoked either through a particular person or a place.
In "Silence", a fragment from Henry James's notebooks becomes a moment of lost love for the unhappily married Lady Gregory, doyenne of the Celtic Revival movement.
In "Two Women", a successful set designer returns to Dublin from LA, only to be reminded of an abortive love affair. In "The New Spain", Carme returns to her home town with nostalgic memories, only to find her family selling off the land she loves for cheap housing. Colm Tóibín's beautiful and carefully executed prose conveys intimacy the way one might whisper a secret.
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 3 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 4 Motorists taunt suicidal woman on bridge and tell her to 'get on with it'
- 5 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
Church of Scientology allegedly sent threatening letters to film distributors and festivals showing damning documentary
This is surely the best way to watch Jaws
James Blunt was special guest on the highest-rating Top Gear episode ever
Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM
Contemporary art is a fraud, says top dealer
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture