Yale £12.99 (300pp) £11.69 from the Independent Bookshop: 08430 600 030
The Finger: A Handbook, By Angus Trumble
At last, a digital handbook that you can actually read and with pleasure. Trumble points out the role of the finger from the Sistine Chapel, where God brings Adam into being with a "not magical so much as military" gesture, to Reynold's sexy portrait of Mrs Abingdon, whose thumbing of her lower lip is "a hint of provocation disguised as the gesture of an ingénue".
The painting of fingers took on a more literal dimension in the Twenties when "durable and highly toxic" fuselage paint evolved into nail varnish. Students at the Yale Centre for British Art, where Trumble is Senior Curator, may be baffled by his inclusion of another form of digital art: "In cricket, the finger also has vital demonstrative function... by which umpires deliver the fateful verdict."
Broadcaster unveils Christmas scheduleTV
Jeff Fletcher found fame in 1990s
'At times I thought he was me'film
Review: One Direction, Fourmusic
Review: The World of Ice and Firebooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Bill Cosby: Isn’t it obvious why his accusers have stayed silent up until now?
- 4 Halle Berry takes ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry to court for allegedly trying to make daughter look less African-American
- 5 Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film
Black Mirror Christmas special: Jon Hamm episode will see people 'blocked' in real life
True Detective series 2: Rachel McAdams cast in female lead as 'no-nonsense' detective
Zoella: YouTube sensation Zoe Sugg's debut novel expected to become overnight bestseller
Naked free runner captured in breathtaking photographs above London's streets
Posh People: Inside Tatler, BBC2 - TV review: Fundamentally not just about posh people
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict