Yale £12.99 (300pp) £11.69 from the Independent Bookshop: 08430 600 030
The Finger: A Handbook, By Angus Trumble
At last, a digital handbook that you can actually read and with pleasure. Trumble points out the role of the finger from the Sistine Chapel, where God brings Adam into being with a "not magical so much as military" gesture, to Reynold's sexy portrait of Mrs Abingdon, whose thumbing of her lower lip is "a hint of provocation disguised as the gesture of an ingénue".
The painting of fingers took on a more literal dimension in the Twenties when "durable and highly toxic" fuselage paint evolved into nail varnish. Students at the Yale Centre for British Art, where Trumble is Senior Curator, may be baffled by his inclusion of another form of digital art: "In cricket, the finger also has vital demonstrative function... by which umpires deliver the fateful verdict."
Game of Thrones
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 2 Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
- 3 Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees
- 4 Refugee crisis: Aylan's life was full of fear - in death, he is part of 'humanity washed ashore'
- 5 German police forced to ask public to stop bringing donations for refugees arriving by train
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
Britain to take more refugees as Cameron bows to pressure after more than 100,000 back our campaign
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up