Penguin £10.99 (443pp) £9.89 from the Independent Bookshop : 08430 600 030
The frock-coated communist, By Tristram Hunt
Friday 30 April 2010
Which great socialist had a dog called Nameless that "had a great appetite for boozing" and was trained to "growl hideously" at aristocrats? Not only in canine matters did Friedrich Engels fail to conform to the steely template of Communist leaders.
Hunt's engaging biography describes Engels' Mancunian oscillations. One day he would be galloping with the Cheshire Hunt, the next discussing Das Kapital with Marx.
Hunt describes his double life as "by day the respectable Dr Jekyll, clerk in the cotton trade; by night Mr Hyde, the revolutionary communist."
This personality split had its physical counterpart in the bourgeois mansion kept for entertaining and the terrace dwelling for his mistress.
Yet, as Hunt argues, Engels's "critique speaks down the ages... particularly apposite when it comes to the unregulated global market".
MusicThe band accidentally called Londoners the C-word
Film 'I've never been comfortable on-screen', she says
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 I'm A Celebrity 2014: Jungle security stepped up after murder and 'suspicious death' near to camp
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Jeremy Hunt: 'I took my children to A&E because I didn't want to wait for GP appointment'
- 4 Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
- 5 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict