Icon Books £8.99
The Genius in All of Us, By David Shenk
Dash it! No more excuses for not being brilliant
Sunday 30 January 2011
The big idea in this book is that talent is not a matter of genetic endowment, but of an ongoing interaction between genes and environment.
The nature/nurture debate is therefore dead (or should be). "Genius" isn't a miraculous gift, but the result of hard work and a perfectionist attitude. David Shenk punctures the myth of Mozart's unearned genius – he was trained hard as musician and composer from an early age. Shenk also blows out of the water all those studies that show amazing similarities between twins reared apart – easily accounted for by coincidence and selection of data. The only trouble with this readable and well-researched book is that it leaves us no excuse for not being geniuses. We just didn't work hard enough.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 4 Homer Simpson takes the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he does
- 5 Hello Kitty is not a cat after all
Great British Bake Off, episode 4, review: Heat gets turned up as Iain goes into meltdown
Great British Bake Off 2014: Diana Beard quits due to illness
Homer Simpson takes the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he does
Friends reunion: Jennifer Anniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Kate Bush, Hammersmith Apollo, gig review: Just what everyone was hoping for
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
- < Previous
- Next >