Fourth Estate £9.99
The God Species, By Mark Lynas
Take off the green hair shirt – it doesn't suit anyone
Sunday 05 February 2012
Mark Lynas's thesis is that the green movement is right in its diagnosis but disastrously wrong in its prescriptions.
Homo sapiens is the only species ever to have had the godlike power to wipe out life on Earth, and is close to crossing a whole range of ecological boundaries beyond which recovery is impossible. But we're also the only species who can save the planet, and hair-shirt green policies will not do it. To row back from the boundaries, we need technologies such as nuclear power and geo-engineering, and economic incentives such as paying people more to protect natural systems than they could get from exploiting them. This may be controversial with the greens, but it certainly convinced me.
game of thrones reviewWarning: spoilers
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Technology company Alibaba posts job advert asking for 'stunning' women with qualities of adult film actress Sora Aoi
- 2 How the language you speak changes your view of the world
- 3 'Fire at every person you see': Israeli soldiers reveal they were ordered to shoot to kill in Gaza – even if the targets may have been civilians
- 4 Italian police 'reveal' what Jesus looked like as a young boy
- 5 Uploading pictures to find out how old you are gives Microsoft the right to post them wherever they want
Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to join show
X-Men Apocalypse: First look at Jubilee and Jean Grey played by Game of Thrones star Sophie Turner
American Horror Story: Hotel Angela Bassett set to make 'lots of trouble' with Lady Gaga in season 5
Jorge Luis Borges fan brings his infinite library to life online
Fifty Shades of Grey movie shows first sex scene 'after 40 minutes'
In defence of liberal democracy
Over 50,000 families shipped out of London boroughs in the past three years due to welfare cuts and soaring rents
EU asylum policy is 'a direct threat to our civilisation', says Nigel Farage
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
Schools forced to act as 'miniature welfare states' with teachers buying underwear and even haircuts for poor pupils