Yale, £10.99, 534pp £9.89 from the Independent Bookshop: 08430 600 030
The Master and his Emissary, By Iain McGilchrist
Friday 05 November 2010
This remarkable book is a bold thought-experiment,a history, a manifesto – and a mystery. Psychiatrist and philosopher, McGilchrist strides across cultures and histories.
He argues that the ruling traits of any era depend on the dominance of either the left (analytic, detached, factual) or the right (integrative, holistic, "spiritual") hemispheres of the brain.
If he scorns popular clichés based on this division, he also applies a modified form to individual minds and the biases of whole societies, from ancient Greece to modern science.
For him, the "triumph" of the left hemisphere threatens our very survival. It makes a striking fable. But how is it true? As metaphor, or as metaphysics, his great divide at least takes us on an epic ride.
Artists unveils new exhibition inspired by Hastings beachart
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Apple has installed security backdoors on 600m iPhones and iPads, claims security researcher
- 2 Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Pro-Russian rebel 'admits to shooting down plane'
- 3 Louis van Gaal gets tough with Manchester United players, with Darren Fletcher and Luke Shaw berated in public and Phil Jones left looking bemused
- 4 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 5 Peaches Geldof inquest: Tragic final moments of socialite's life reveal she lied to husband about failed heroin tests
What are the worst 'Word Crimes'?
Fight Club 2: Chuck Palahniuk sequel is a 'meta-fictional comment on the cultural response to the original'
Noel Fielding's 'Luxury Comedy': A land of the outright bizarre
Can Secret Cinema sell 80,000 'Back to the Future' tickets?
Star Wars 7: Plot details 'leak', with sequel's opening sequence and premise revealed
Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 crash: 'Nine Britons, 23 Americans and 80 children' feared dead after Boeing passenger jet is 'shot down' near Ukraine-Russia border
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Vladimir Putin is given 'one last chance' to end hostilities in Ukraine
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia