Oneworld £9/99 (215pp) (free p&p) from the Independent Bookshop: 0870 079 8897
The Noughtie Girl's Guide to Feminism, By Ellie Levenson
Friday 17 July 2009
Market research reveals that younger women think of feminism as a dirty word, or at least, an antiquated one. A triumph for post-feminists maybe, but Ellie Levenson sets out to reclaim it as a noughtie's term.
Even if you don't realise it, she suggests, and have a penchant for bright red lipstick, you probably are a feminist after all (or a "femininisn't", a term that conjers up empowered self-denial).
The book describes how the world has changed since Second Wave Feminism, and why we need a redefinition of the terms of inequality.
Perhaps not essential reading for old style fems, but worth it just to be reminded of Rebecca West's quote: "I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute."
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Andreas Lubitz: Who is Germanwings co-pilot who 'locked out captain and crashed flight 9525'?
- 2 JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
- 3 Germanwings crash: Descent may have been 'deliberate, suicidal choice' by pilot, claims experts
- 4 Germanwings plane crash live: Andreas Guenter Lubitz intentionally crashed flight 9525 into the Alps in act of mass murder and suicide – latest
- 5 Video shows what happens when lava is poured onto ice
Jeremy Clarkson to host BBC's Have I Got News For You despite Top Gear exit
Jeremy Clarkson says it 'isn't hard' to create another Top Gear
James May hints Top Gear days are over following Jeremy Clarkson's BBC suspension
Mark Gatiss on playing 'prince of darkness' Peter Mandelson in Channel 4's Coalition
James May hints he will not continue on Top Gear without Jeremy Clarkson
Nigel Farage brands LGBT activists 'filth' and 'scum' and accuses them of scaring away his children after they invade his local pub
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Russia threatens Denmark with nuclear weapons if it tries to join Nato defence shield
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Council tenant wins right not to be sent to Milton Keynes