The Prague Cemetery, By Umberto Eco
Boyd Tonkin is Literary Editor at The Independent. An award-winning journalist, he was formerly Social Policy Editor of the New Statesman and has broadcast extensively for BBC arts and current affairs programmes. He has judged the Booker Prize, the Whitbread biography award, the Commonwealth Writers Prize and the David Cohen Prize for a lifetime's achievement in literature.
Saturday 30 June 2012
Back on the tricksy and mystery-spinning form of The Name of the Rose, Eco revisits conspiracies and their deadly madness in this novel of imaginary plots and all-too-real anti-Semitism in the Paris –
and the Europe – of the 1890s. Aided by a translation (from Richard Dixon) that tucks into Eco's rich period pastiche with relish, the story weaves a fictional master of mischief – devilishly clever Simonini – into actual events as the faked Protocols of the Elders of Zion plant the seeds of genocide. Highly enjoyable in its cunning twists, Eco's tale carries a warning from history: beware of political paranoia.
Arts & Ents blogs
The episode begins with Finn (Cory Monteith) at college, partying and accidentally participating in ...
What a wonderful way to end this momentous series in the 50th year of Doctor Who. From the start of ...
Let's talk book blurbs, those quotes you get, usually from other writers, that are meant to entice y...
- 1 Heading for America? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever
- 2 Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
- 3 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 4 'Swivel-gate': David Cameron goes to war with the press over 'swivel-eyed loons' slur
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.