Vintage £9.99 (344pp) (free p&p) from the Independent Bookshop : 0870 079 8897
The Red Prince, By Timothy Snyder
Friday 12 June 2009
Rich as goulash, this fascinating book tells the life of the Ukrainian aristocrat Wilhelm von Habsburg in scintillating detail. After becoming the nation's "royal Robin Hood" in 1920, his monarchic ambitions were stifled when Ukraine was absorbed by the USSR.
Wilhelm departed for Paris where his sexual adventurism (it was claimed he wore a dress for evening forays) led to a messy expulsion. After moving to Vienna, Wilhelm spied against Germany during the Second World War and Stalin afterwards. His betrayal in the divided capital is reminiscent of The Third Man.
Wilhelm was informed upon by a friend arrested for holding a noisy party and died from TB in a Soviet prison. Snyder concludes his roaring loco of a narrative by extolling the "imaginative and purposeful self-creation" of the Habsburgs.
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Thailand beach murders: Thai PM suggests 'attractive' female tourists cannot expect to be safe wearing bikinis
- 2 Scottish independence: Learn from Quebec's mistakes and beware of promises. Vote Yes.
- 3 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 4 Revealed after 75 years of secrecy: 'Fifi' the glamorous WW2 special agent who tested British spies' resolve
- 5 Have you heard about the film Singapore has banned its people from watching? Well, you have now
Laurie Lee's Rosie: What is it like to inspire a writer's work and be immortalised forever on the page?
Lego breaks out of the toy box and heads for the gallery
Doctor Who series 8: Time Heist pictures revealed ahead of episode 5
The Walking Dead season 5 air date, trailer and season 4 recap
Star Wars 7 leaked set photo of Adam Driver changes everything
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'