Penguin £7.99 (259pp) £7.59 from the Independent Bookshop: 08430 600 030
The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole Aged 13¾, By Sue Townsend
"Perhaps when I am famous and my diary is discovered people will understand the torment of being a 13¾ year-old undiscovered intellectual." So Adrian Mole prophesied in 1982, and he may well look back in smugness as a 43¾ year-old today.
His diary was discovered by a generation of young and adult readers and has since become a crossover classic.
This 30th anniversary edition proves it has lost none of its spark: entries catalogue daily indignities from acne breakouts to the torment of discovering that the object of his adoration, Pandora, is going out with his best-friend, Nigel (though this is short-lived).
Adrian's world encapsulates the growing pains of teenage-hood but also the wonder and hope.
Arts & Ents blogs
Let's talk book blurbs, those quotes you get, usually from other writers, that are meant to entice y...
Fela Kuti, Jewish food and The Great Gatsby are just some of the reasons why the rainy weather ahead...
Sat in a hotel lobby amidst a music conference in Aarhus around 4am in is a great way to argue, and ...
- 1 Stoke City investigate 'religious abuse' after 'pig's head is found in Kenwyne Jones' locker'
- 2 Gove’s lesson: spare the comma, spoil the child
- 3 Heading for America? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever
- 4 Grace Dent on TV: Extreme Couponing, My Strange Addiction, and Here Comes Honey Boo Boo, TLC
- 5 Join Ryanair! See the world! But we'll only pay you for nine months a year
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.