Atlantic £6.99 (168pp) (free p&p) from 0870 079 8897
The See-Saw, By Julia Hobsbawm
Friday 30 January 2009
This collection of "100 Ideas for Work-Life Balance" by the PR guru Julia Hobsbawm makes some good points about women and guilt, but sadly her value-tosh balance is too skewed to find room here to mention them.
What there is much more of is self-help cringe about the T-word (time) and the G-word (guilt), and plenty of the S-word (smugness) in which the fragrant Ms H compares herself to an Afghan refugee and fails to understand that not everyone lives in posh north London.
Tips: get your manicurist to come to you; organise a "non-book group" to see your friends; family karaoke in the bath is a flexible "recipe" that is great fun for singles, too! If anyone ever catches me trying it, shoot me through the head and sell me for horse meat.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 2 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 3 The Simpsons death: Creator Al Jean would 'kill himself' before character like Homer or Lisa
- 4 British man raped while urinating in bushes at Oktoberfest beer festival in Germany
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
Black-ish: America's new 'racist' TV sitcom has had a mixed reception
Cilla, episode 3, ITV - review: Ed Stoppard steals the limelight as Beatles manager Brian Epstein
The Simpsons death: Creator Al Jean would 'kill himself' before character like Homer or Lisa
'Before They Pass Away': Endangered communities photographed 'like Kate Moss'
The Jungle Book: A tale as old as time
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
'Women, walk wherever you want' posters taken down in Stamford Hill following 'unacceptable' signs separating men and women
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
- < Previous
- Next >