The Time Traveller's Guide to Elizabethan England, By Ian Mortimer
Mortimer's Tardis does the job with a welter of detail, though this England seems oddly familiar.
Women who "white their face, necks and paps with cerise, their lips with red and their cheeks with purple" and men who go in for a "thin moustache and tapering goatee-like beard" sounds like Shoreditch, 2013. Taking "the main meal" at 11am is not unknown in greasy spoons of today.
Sir Thomas Elyot's description of "the beastly fury and extreme violence" of football suggests he was 400 years too early for a job on the sports desk.
X Factor judge will appear in court later this month
Arts & Ents blogs
YouTube star Rebecca Black is back with Saturday (it's a sequel to Friday, see?)
Norman Rockwell’s 'Saying Grace' tops record week of art auction sales in US
X Factor 2013: Luke Friend wins place in final as Rough Copy sent home
Back from the dead? Family Guy's Brian Griffin 'to make a comeback' after fan petition
Katie Hopkins mocks name of sick girl featured in X Factor charity appeal
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
- < Previous
- Next >