The Weekend, By Bernhard Schlink
Idealism exposed in a getaway for former terrorists
Sunday 16 October 2011
Jorg is a terrorist with links to the Baader-Meinhof gang, now released after 24 years in prison.
His sister, Christiane, has organised a weekend in the country for him, surrounded by old comrades, but of course they have changed: Ulrich is now the perfect bourgeois, happy with his dental practice; Henner is an international expert on terrorism who lectures all over the world and can't cope with intimacy; Christiane has a terrible secret to hide from her brother. Is Jorg remorseful for acts he committed that resulted in innocent people dying? Schlink exposes hypocrisies and punctures idealism – not just the idealism of a certain age, but also our ongoing idealism about the family and about our friends. Discomforting and brilliant.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace joins line-up as final celebrities revealed
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 4 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 5 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace joins line-up as final celebrities revealed
Great British Bake Off 2014: Ofcom receives 13 complaints about Baked Alaska episode
Nicki Minaj suffers wardrobe malfunction during MTV VMAs performance with Ariana Grande and Jessie J
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
- < Previous
- Next >