The Whisperer, By Donato Carrisi
Literary thriller? More a grim tale from the shallow end
Sunday 16 January 2011
The premise for this bestseller is an intriguing one: that an innocent mind can be perverted by suggestion (and so a bad mind made good again by persuasion, or a bad action diverted by rhetoric).
Ian McEwan tried this out in Saturday, an appropriate comparison as this may be crime fiction but Carrisi's debut is described as a "literary thriller". This psychologically shallow and thoroughly grim tale comes straight from Silence of the Lambs: five little girls have been abducted and killed. But Carrisi, in his romantic acknowledgements, doesn't seem aware of this. ("To Daria, and the destiny she gave me. To Maria de Bellis, who guarded my childish dreams.")
Books And it is whizzpopping!
MusicThey're running their own restaurants
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Lord Sewel quits: Peer 'boasts of having sex with BBC presenter and seeing 13 mistresses'
- 2 Topshop pulls 'ridiculously skinny' mannequins after being shamed by customer on Facebook
- 3 Five-year-old boy forced classmate to simulate oral sex at primary school, claims mother
- 4 Black and ethnic minority people twice as likely to be hit by Tory cuts than white people, report finds
- 5 Polish court orders bank to repay drugged man after he spends £23,400 in lap dance bar
Inside Out: Pixar makes crucial change for Japanese audiences by editing out broccoli
Watch Tom Cruise lip sync to The Weeknd (seriously)
Top Gear cleared by Ofcom over Jeremy Clarkson's use of the word 'pikey'
Game of Thrones season 6: New toy line suggests Jon Snow is not among the dead
Amazon UK launch Prime Music streaming service to rival Spotify and TIDAL
The 9 charts that show the 'left-wing' policies of Jeremy Corbyn the public actually agrees with
Labour leadership contender Jeremy Corbyn says 'we can learn a great deal from Karl Marx'
The last thing Labour needs is a leader like Jeremy Corbyn who people want to vote for
What the Labour party could look like under Jeremy Corbyn
I am the Jeremy Corbyn supporter that many will tell you doesn't exist
Public anger after French sunbather beaten up by gang for wearing a bikini in Reims park