HARPERCOLLINS £6.99 (392pp) (free p&p) from the Independent Bookshop: 08430 600 030
The Wonder Girls, By Sarah May
Friday 27 November 2009
The reader suspects all is not well in Middle England when Sylvia Henderson , an over-Botoxed,Valium-popping 'gym bunny' of a Suburban housewife turns to her husband after finding out their 17-year-old daughter is pregnant, and points to the trees outside: "They're watching us," she says, spookily.
More Suburban angst ensues, with four prospective gymslip mums and a local hack lurking behind bushes in hope for a headline. This tale of living and loving is a refreshing antidote to the plague of smug 'yummy mummy' stories.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Half of young women unable to ‘locate vagina’ and 65% find it difficult to say the word
- 2 Perez Hilton apologises for Jennifer Lawrence naked photo leak
- 3 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 4 Mexican woman becomes world’s 'oldest person' at 127
- 5 Jennifer Lawrence 'naked sex video' will be leaked threatens 4Chan celebrity photo hacker
Rotherham child sex abuse scandal: Labour Home Office to be probed over what Tony Blair's government knew - and when
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Ashya King: Parents of five-year-old boy refused permission to visit him in hospital and denied bail at Spanish court
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage