HARPERCOLLINS £6.99 (392pp) (free p&p) from the Independent Bookshop: 08430 600 030
The Wonder Girls, By Sarah May
Friday 27 November 2009
The reader suspects all is not well in Middle England when Sylvia Henderson , an over-Botoxed,Valium-popping 'gym bunny' of a Suburban housewife turns to her husband after finding out their 17-year-old daughter is pregnant, and points to the trees outside: "They're watching us," she says, spookily.
More Suburban angst ensues, with four prospective gymslip mums and a local hack lurking behind bushes in hope for a headline. This tale of living and loving is a refreshing antidote to the plague of smug 'yummy mummy' stories.
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Michelle Watt's father says TV presenter killed herself because she was in constant pain
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 Amber Roof: Sister of Charleston shooting suspect Dylann Roof launches fund-raising appeal for wedding and honeymoon
- 4 Russell Brand condemns moment of silence for Tunisia attack victims as a 'minute of bulls**t'
- 5 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
Game of Thrones season 6: Daenerys actress Emilia Clarke says '50/50 chance' Jon Snow is alive
Britain's best outdoor cinemas to visit this summer from Somerset House to Luna Cinema
London Has Fallen trailer branded 'extremely insensitive' ahead of 10th anniversary of 7/7 bombings
The last decade has produced just four UK festival headline acts
What if Nicolas Cage played every character in Game of Thrones?
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture