HARPERCOLLINS £6.99 (392pp) (free p&p) from the Independent Bookshop: 08430 600 030
The Wonder Girls, By Sarah May
Friday 27 November 2009
The reader suspects all is not well in Middle England when Sylvia Henderson , an over-Botoxed,Valium-popping 'gym bunny' of a Suburban housewife turns to her husband after finding out their 17-year-old daughter is pregnant, and points to the trees outside: "They're watching us," she says, spookily.
More Suburban angst ensues, with four prospective gymslip mums and a local hack lurking behind bushes in hope for a headline. This tale of living and loving is a refreshing antidote to the plague of smug 'yummy mummy' stories.
Game of Thrones
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 The difference between a migrant and refugee, in one sentence
- 2 Miley Cyrus calls out hypocrisy of women’s nipples being taboo
- 3 Celebrity Big Brother 2015: Tila Tequila kicked off show after 'describing Hitler as a good man'
- 4 Watch the Supermoon live: How to see the brightest Moon of the year tonight
- 5 iPhone 5c to be discontinued, no iPhone 6c to replace it
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
'Women only' train carriages: Jeremy Corbyn unveils radical move to tackle public harassment
Black holes are a passage to another universe, says Stephen Hawking
Iain Duncan Smith 'should resign over disability benefit death figures', says Jeremy Corbyn
Stock up on canned food for stock market crash, warns former Gordon Brown adviser
Labour leadership: Jeremy Corbyn voters most likely to believe 'world is controlled by a secretive elite'