Black Swan £7.99
Their Finest Hour and a Half, By Lissa Evans
I defy anyone not to fall for Lissa Evans' smart, funny, ingenious, revealing tale of London life during the Second World War. Catrin is the girlfriend – posing as a wife – of self-centred war artist Ellis Cole, and working as a copywriter at a small advertising agency when the Ministry of Information asks for her help with the scripts for domestic propaganda films (girls working extra hours with a cheer, mums doing exciting things with swedes, and so on). Has-been actor Ambrose Hilliard has been drafted in to star, and lonely spinster seamstress Eleanor Beadmore helps with costumes. All three find that the war changes them and their relationships with those closest to them – with amusing and touching consequences.
Not a word goes spare in this tale, and the dialogue, along with some lovely and morbid little wartime details (somebody's blown-off arm is attached to somebody else's body in the morgue so that a full-bodied corpse can be presented to grieving loved ones), help make it all ring true.
Arts & Ents blogs
There is a good many moments in the second episode of this psychological thriller that deserve refle...
The opening titles squeal ‘Never Can Say Goodbye…’. Oh Lord how I wish I could heave this series off...
Even though there was a complete absence of our favourite odd couple Brienne and Jaime, we got anoth...
- 1 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Bloody attack brings terror to capital’s streets
- 2 Mothers' diets may harm IQs in two-thirds of babies
- 3 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 4 After woman sells virginity for $780,000, here are the results of our prostitution survey
- 5 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.