Arrow £7.99 (311pp) from the Independent Bookshop: 08430 600 030
Through the Language Glass, By Guy Deutscher
Friday 04 February 2011
This dazzling work on "the most down-to-earth level of everyday language" starts by quoting WE Gladstone: when he wasn't being PM, or rescuing fallen women, he was an expert classicist.
He was fascinated by the erratic colours in Greek texts – green honey, violet wool and, most famously, wine-dark sea. He explained this as a colour blindness among the Greeks that was later overcome. Deutscher claims he was "spot-on", if we substitute culture for biology.
Unfolding a fascinating argument on how "the world looks different in other languages", he notes how the speech of Matses in Amazonia is so particular that it would satisfy "the finickiest of lawyers". If Deutscher's style is a trifle mannered, this is a small price for such a lively book.
Game of Thrones
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 2 Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
- 3 Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees
- 4 Refugee crisis: Aylan's life was full of fear - in death, he is part of 'humanity washed ashore'
- 5 German police forced to ask public to stop bringing donations for refugees arriving by train
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
Britain to take more refugees as Cameron bows to pressure after more than 100,000 back our campaign
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up