Picador £12.99 (247pp) £11.69 from the Independent Bookshop: 08430 600 030
Titanic Thompson, By Kevin Cook
Friday 04 February 2011
To say that the story of "America's greatest hustler" is like Damon Runyon is something of a tautology. The real Runyon weaves in and out of the book, notably when he observed Thompson's involvement in the murder of Arnold Rothstein, who crops up in The Great Gatsby for fixing the World Series of 1919.
Thompson didn't shoot Rothstein, though he did kill five others. His response when asked the limit in a poker game – "The sky's the limit" – gave Runyon Sky Masterson's name. But it wasn't a bet when you were against Thompson: you were going to lose. He took Al Capone for $500 in a bet on throwing a lemon. This hardboiled yarn is pushed as "a terrific read for anyone who has ever laid a bet", but its lesson is: don't.
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained star's white boyfriend Brian Lucas confirms LAPD internally investigating 'racist' detainment
- 2 Isis release 'Flames of War' video warning Obama of attacks troops could face in Iraq
- 3 Pakistani passenger power forces two politicians off plane
- 4 Say yes to 'no-poo': It's been three years since I stopped washing my hair
- 5 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time: 'That was the lowest I'd ever felt'
Robin Thicke admits he did not write 'Blurred Lines'
Colin Firth and Emma Stone on starring in Magic in the Moonlight: Woody Allen's 1920s romance
Doctor Who series 8: Time Heist pictures revealed ahead of episode 5
Pharrell Williams says 'Blurred Lines' criticism is 'out of context'
The Walking Dead season 5 air date, trailer and season 4 recap
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Scottish independence: The Queen breaks silence on referendum debate – as think tank warns of £14bn black hole if Scotland votes Yes