To Heaven by Water, By Justin Cartwright
Sunday 11 April 2010
Ah, the contradictions of the middle- class novel: anti-intellectual, yet full of references to pre-Raphaelites, Shakespeare and high modernists; liberal, yet fearful of badly dressed, overweight, potentially violent proles; so wrong in its sexual politics ("Jenni's very short dress... a sort of provocation rather than a garment"), yet so right about family.
Silver fox David Cross is a middle-aged war correspondent who used to be on TV. His unfaithful wife has just died, which means he can innocently indulge his fondness for his perfect, baby-hungry daughter-in-law, Rosalie, while his lawyer son is off bonking a junior in the office. Meanwhile, David's daughter Lucy is being harassed by her rugby-playing ex-boyfriend.
Justin Cartwright has interesting things to say about getting older and a sense of alienation from society, but his characters' self-examination is shallow. David doesn't seem troubled by his night of passion with Rosalie, not even when she turns up pregnant soon after. But that's the middle classes for you: keeping it in the family.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Paralysed man Darek Fidyka walks again after treatment by British doctors on brink of 'cure'
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world