To Heaven by Water, By Justin Cartwright
Sunday 11 April 2010
Ah, the contradictions of the middle- class novel: anti-intellectual, yet full of references to pre-Raphaelites, Shakespeare and high modernists; liberal, yet fearful of badly dressed, overweight, potentially violent proles; so wrong in its sexual politics ("Jenni's very short dress... a sort of provocation rather than a garment"), yet so right about family.
Silver fox David Cross is a middle-aged war correspondent who used to be on TV. His unfaithful wife has just died, which means he can innocently indulge his fondness for his perfect, baby-hungry daughter-in-law, Rosalie, while his lawyer son is off bonking a junior in the office. Meanwhile, David's daughter Lucy is being harassed by her rugby-playing ex-boyfriend.
Justin Cartwright has interesting things to say about getting older and a sense of alienation from society, but his characters' self-examination is shallow. David doesn't seem troubled by his night of passion with Rosalie, not even when she turns up pregnant soon after. But that's the middle classes for you: keeping it in the family.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Gun instructor accidentally shot dead by nine-year-old girl with Uzi gun
- 2 Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
- 3 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 4 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 5 Homer Simpson has taken the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he has
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Arizona shooting: Gun instructor accidentally killed by nine-year-old girl with Uzi
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
- < Previous
- Next >