Virago £8.99 (273pp) from the Independent Bookshop: 08430 600 030
Touchy Subjects, By Emma Donoghue
Friday 08 April 2011
Emma Donoghue's Man Booker-shortlisted Room was inspired by the real life events of the Elisabeth Fritzl case. This collection of short stories, first published in 2006, sees the author in more frivolous mode, though still with a penchant for revealing secrets.
In the story "Pluck", a stay-at-home father becomes obsessed by a rogue bristle sprouting under his girlfriend's pretty chin.
Other stories include the dire consequences of a polite social lie, the acid thoughts of a creative writing teacher, and the conjectures of a woman waiting on her friend's husband's sperm donation.
Mischievous in content and lucidly written, the tales dramatise the ordinary moments on which everyday lives turn. It's a collection that swaps epiphanies for laughs.
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 3 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 4 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 5 Isis publicly behead man in Syrian town square for 'insulting Allah' as he screams for help
Heavy metal producer's corpse to be mutilated by models as per his dying wish
The Jump 2015 line-up: Joey Essex, Phil Tufnell, Heather Mills and co take to the slopes
Game of Thrones: Grey Worm actor Jacob Anderson is all for more male nudity – as long as he can keep his clothes on
Angelina Jolie confirms retirement from acting: 'I've never been comfortable on-screen'
Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' goes viral 35 years later
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures