Faber £9.99 (576pp) (free p&p) from the Independent Bookshop: 08430 600 030
When the Lights Went Out, By Andy Beckett
Friday 05 February 2010
Beckett was born ten days before the Seventies but his energetic account of that seedy decade will jump-start hazy memories for those who lived through it. Maplin may ring a distant bell, but what the hell was it? Beckett not only reminds us about the Heath government's failed plan for an estuarial airport for London but also visits a trial site built near Shoeburyness.
Ted Heath produced "a heavy mirthless laugh" when Beckett raised the topic. Sid Rawle pops up on page 250. Who? The self-styled "King of the Hippies" got government backing for a week-long pop festival (Hawkwind, Gong...) in Oxfordshire. Local MP Airey Neave led the opposition, but during the event "a stout, 59-year-old man with a Brylcreemed gentleman's club haircut" paid a visit. "Very orderly," said Neave.
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained star's white boyfriend Brian Lucas confirms LAPD internally investigating 'racist' detainment
- 2 Isis release 'Flames of War' video warning Obama of attacks troops could face in Iraq
- 3 Pakistani passenger power forces two politicians off plane
- 4 Say yes to 'no-poo': It's been three years since I stopped washing my hair
- 5 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time: 'That was the lowest I'd ever felt'
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter